Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Light of Turner....

Castle of The Surf(8x10 oils, SOLD)I'm starting to put together, thank God, some smaller paintings to take to Japan. I will be doing about 8 or so if I can. Much like what you see above in terms of size and spontaneity. After watching Simon Scharma's Power of Art show on Turner, I came away moved and really fired up. Turner was a character indeed, a real rabble-rouser constantly pissing off the "establishment". I knew why he's such an inspiration. Interestingly, in 1840, he lived in strangely familiar times- economic ups and downs, a social split between classes of people, idealogies and politics....and an unending war(with Napoleon). Like I said, familiar. Rather than feel daunted by such a master as Turner, the program showed me what my instinct has been telling me-I'm on the right path. Not there yet, but working on it. In Turner's work, he often showed the sky lit up, in hues that were "like the color of sun hitting the blood of your retinas when your eyes are closed". I tried a bit of that here. And I tried to loosen up some as well. The old "illustrator" touch of "define, define,define" kicked in....Turner used his fingers in his paintings, scratching with a fingernail, the details...I'll get there one day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tessa said...

Looking forward to seeing some of these in Japan. They're never quite the same on the computer screen.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i know that i was amazed the first time I saw a Turner in person just how vivid the sky was in the painting. It was amazing. i do think you've caught some of that. Wish i could be in japan to see it.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Nadine. Yeah, sitting in the hall of Turners at the Tate is fairly a religious experience for me. There they are, and then some. Just humbling, and inspiring at the same time.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home