Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Things They Don't Teach You in Art School Pt 2

Yes, there are more things I can dispense about the reality of working as an artist after these many years....they apply to most anything but they really apply to this thing we call art.

1) Don't get jealous. There is a quote from somewhere I heard in a song from 1997 called "Sunscreen"-"Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes behind; the race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself" . Be the best artist YOU can be, don't try to be the best there is. The first option is a lifetime of exploration, study and constantly getting better. The second option is a way to total heartbreak, anxiety and..jealousy. Jealousy is unproductive.

2) Listen but don't listen too much. If you listen too much you'll have someone always talking you out of something you want to do. Or, into something you don't. Do you own thing, be your own boss. A million people tried to talk me out of art. Many of them failed at what they do while, I still keep going on doing what I do.

3) Don't try to save the world. You can't. No one can. Don't try to change people, because you can't. Global Warming is happening...you can't do much about it but adapt. People won't change, don't try and convert them, it doesn't work. Politicians will change but they are all the same. They play a different game than artists. Politicians use lies to *hide* the truth, artists use them to *tell* the truth( quote from V FOR VENDETTA). They fight to win office, and what they percieve as power. We've already won, we don't hold "office" and we have the power to make the 2D look 3D.

4) Change YOUR world. Paint and draw the things that give you bliss. Compete with yourself to be better at what you do, and how you take care of your health, and those close to you.

These are at least some of my "common sense" things I follow. Hope they help.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Potvin said...

Very true, and nice to read such plain and obvious truths once in a while... Thanks for sharing Bob.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Gwen Buchanan said...

Bob, You are so right about "What they don't teach you in Art School" pt 1 & pt 2. It made me smile as I read it, as it rang so true. I think some people are afraid to admit it.
I agree 100 %. & I live by those statements.
Just do what you love & don't let anyone talk you out of it. gwen

12:04 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Dan-anytime

Gwen-thanks for stopping in. It's sort of my school of hard knocks..all this has been gleaned from...

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home