Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Saturday, May 05, 2007

So I've been working on something...




In case you are wondering where I went to, well...I got a little busy. Actually ALOT busy! Here's some photos of me, in the studio working on a painting for a French publisher. The subject is Dragons. In this case they wanted a "Dragon vs a Dragon Kraken". It seemed like alot of fun...so I took it on.
I am working in oils. I tend to use a rubber glove for oil work for two reasons. In case I lean my hand on the painting, it keeps my skin oils off. Conversely, it keeps oil paint off of ME and hence, a quicker clean up, esp for washing brushes. Also, in the picture at top, I am using an old pool stick for what is called a Mahlstick. This is placed at an angle at the top of the piece using the edge for balance, and it makes it so I can get into tight areas of detail without leaning on the painting or getting in my own way.
The below picture is largely the finished result. You can see the sketch I did from Friday, April 1st, in the archives. I also made the painting tall and long, tho only the middle section will be used in the book. But I wanted to fill a canvas like this odd size.


2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

Great dragon and color of the water in that piece.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Julie. I'll be posting a full image of this one, this week so, hang tight...

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home