Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Monday, April 30, 2007

Colors of Spring!!!

Magnolia(6x8 inches, oils)So you never know what I'm going to do next. I like being unpredictable and since it's Spring, I wanted to paint some natural colors. I could not resist flowers!!! We saw this amazing magnolia tree in Newport last week. Magnolias are only out for a very short time. Miss them and you have to wait another year. Magnolias were also flowers around in the time of the dinosaurs(See? There is always a method to my madness). I made this one deliberately like the color palette(the background specifically) of Martin Johnson Heade, an American artist who painted some amazing sea coast scenes, of New England, as well as South American flowers in almost surrealistic enviroments, in the 1900's http://www.artchive.com/artchive/H/heade.html.
I also took a flower that had fallen on the ground for up close studio study.
I am also taking things back abit. The previous rocket scenes, while fun(and more to come) took alot of out me, and took me off the course of what I wanted to do with this blog, which was to paint simple objects and scenes. So you might be seeing some more flowers, spring landscapes and such, soon!
This little painting will be part of the "Spring Art" show at The Art Corner(see my links) in Salem. If you want to buy it, please inquire with them, as of this coming Friday when the show is opened.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just curious about your preferred medium. most of the pictures that state your medium, are acrylics, s I just wondered if that is was the majority of your pieces are done in? Or do you mix it up just to keep yourself from getting in a rut?

The flower is beautiful, by the way.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I love oils. Really smitten with them in fact. I had a bit of fear of them and now, I find them just fantastic to move around, and the results are better. I do sometimes work in Acrylics as well. Depends upon what the need is for.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home