Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Ocean of Wrath...

The Nor'easter(8x10, oils SOLD!)
We have had some of the WORST weather in awhile. Literally, the coast of the state was hit with massive, rolling seas. The greatest painter of the sea who ever lived was Ivan Aivazovsky, a Russian artist of the 1800's who did magnificent paintings of the ocean in it's wild. I have to say he'd be my first pick, with Winslow Homer a second, and some of Thomas Moran's paintings of the ocean, in third. The idea is to make the ocean like some kind of personality, rather than a "photo" of what it really looks like. Romanticization is what makes paintings work so well, the ones I enjoy.

The above painting was done rather quickly, and from feeling of listening to the howling wind(it was, really!) and rain on the windows. I worked it in brushes, and palette knife. I also did the lightning, the same way that the "Mad" John Martin painted in some of his Biblical and Apocalyptic visions he did so long ago that are jaw dropping to this day. The tiny ship on the right gives us some connection here.

9 Comments:

Blogger leslee said...

I always loved being at the seacoast during storms - the sea gets pretty wild. Although the tsunami a couple of years ago did give me new respect for it!

6:52 PM  
Blogger leslee said...

Oh, and nice painting! I'm always amazed that anyone can capture the feel of watching the sea when it's stirred up. I can't even capture it in words.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

A lovely translucent green!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Leslee-Yeah, I love the ocean,for all it's mystery. Being the same water sign as you, I have to be near oceans. They hold me rapt in some way.

Julie-thanks! I try to make the ocean ABIT better than it appears but not as tacky as the "Hawaiian" art we see too much of.

10:50 PM  
Blogger leslee said...

Heh. Virgo is an earth sign! But we are often drawn to our opposite, what we are missing. Pisces, directly opposite, ruled by Neptune - god of the sea. And, btw, Marianne's chart is *full* of water. :-)

8:21 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

SEa? I mean..See? I get on well with Water Signs. My friend Wakasa in Japan is like a brother. He builds the suits for Godzilla films and such. He and I get on great and he's...Pisces...funny I just heard "Age of Aquarius" on the radio when your message popped up.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff.

As per your recommendation I googled "The greatest painter of the sea."

I can see the influence he had.

I think you would want other people to see his art and remember his name so the site, with about 50 paintings, is:
http://www.abcgallery.com/A/aivazovsky/aivazovsky.html

8:47 AM  
Blogger leslee said...

Yah, water - especially Pisces, I find - is good for Virgos because we tend to get all uptight and shit. Pisces/Neptune also rules spiritual things and "spirits" - ie, alcohol. Where Virgo discriminates (sign of the harvest, separating wheat from chaff, you know), Pisces/Neptune is boundaryless and "all is one" (which happens in spiritual things as well as when one is drunk and everyone in the bar is your long-lost buddy!). And of course the sea cannot be contained either.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Yep, we Virgos get all uptight and pissed off. Although lately I try to not be so pissed off. I love how you've responded to this one. More storms and sea to come. I really like this one, to be honest myself, I am sure it is that "water" thing!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home