Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Phillip Jose Farmer RIP

Phillip Jose Farmer passed away today. I had a special connection to him...I did the covers to his last two books-reissues though they were-for Subterranean Press. With the above cover things got very personal and special because I talked with Phil's wife Bette as they wanted to own the painting. Apparently, in Phil's aging condition(he died at 91) the above painting inspired responses from him. He was not in any way ill, simply, very elderly, and "quiet". But then who wouldn't be after a life such as his length. One thing led to another and, the painting was bought as a gift for them from someone. And sent to them for a Christmas '07 surprise, and surprised they were! Phil later went on to refer to me as his "favorite artist" in his last press interview. That's pretty cool I think!! I take great satisfaction in the connection I have with this gifted writer of many genres and many ideas. He was a great writer, not simply a science fiction or fantasy one though he well covered that genre with timeless work. What struck me was his work never seemed dated, but it had a ageless/dateless quality about it. Enjoyable then, as it is now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neutronman said...

Bob-san, just made it back to your site and caught this. Another "great" crosses over. I was a big fan of this book (very funny and very crazy) and loved his Riverworld books.

Glad you were able to connect with Phil. Life really is about these connections.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home