Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

More Things They Don't Teach You in Art School Pt 3

Some more thoughts about all the things that make for being a working artist:

1) Get exercise. Walk around the block even if you're on a tight deadline you have time for this. Barring that, join a YMCA (it's cheap, and if needed for health, deductable) or a gym. Try and work out 3 times a week. You'll feel better about your work-who doesn't get pissed off with their paintings or drawings from time to time-break away, go for a walk, get some sun- and just move your body from being in a single position. YOU WILL feel better!!! And that "lousy" painting will somehow look better afterward.

2) Don't smoke. It's unhealthy and just, disgusting. You're feeding a corporate industry(Tobacco) that tries to run the universe. Don't play their game. They claim smoking "helps you think". Well, I *think* I'd rather not.
There are dozens of reasons I could go into...but, just don't smoke. You'll live longer. And, DON'T DO DRUGS. It's bad stuff. I need not say this more strongly. I could quote KISS' Gene Simmons on this. It will suck your health, your life, and your money dry and not in that order neccessarily. Myself-never had it, never will. One thing I'm proud of to say. The highs in life come from creativity and love.

3) If you drink to anything, drink red wine. It's good for you. One glass a day at the end of the day. Red wine is full of anti-oxidants and anti-aging stuff and it thins your blood and gets rid of cholesterol. And, it's good at receptions and celebrating finishing a good job or a painting-I'll alway drink to a painting done. I prefer fine Australian wines myself but that is just me. If not wine, you're not into alchohol, drink it's former-grape juice. Try it with seltzer water and a twist of lime, over ice. Tasty, classy an thrist quenching and none of the crap that's in carbonated soda.

4) Drink tea. Coffee doesn't like me. Caffiene is in both but the "better" caffiene is in tea. Cappucinos are nice though, on occasion.

5) GET REST. Have set hours you work. There are no "deadlines" that are worth spending "all nighters" on. Just tell people, that's your hours, that's how you work.

More thoughts soon. Hope this is helping anyone, I got some nice comments from a few people so I'll keep it up with the tips.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Jouan said...

Keep them coming, Bob!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I do try! If it helps then my work is done.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Mr. Eggleton...

please grace us with more installments of Things They Don't etc.

Please!

This from just someone from San Fran who has been fortunate to cross casual paths with you at various WorldCons and suchlike over the years.

Dug your chat with Rick Kleffel on Agony Column's podcast the other day, too.

Cheers from Fog Town...

ml heath
myspace.com/mlayne1

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home