Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Whiter Shade of Pale.....

Cliffs of Dover #1(oils, 8x10, $100) Cliffs of Dover Lighthouse(8x10, oils SOLD!)
The Fall Gate, Cockington(8x10,oils, SOLD!)
What a week it has been in terms of some work and catching up. Mostly a book project that involved dinosaurs and my first foray into digital art. However, there were so many scenes and images in my head to paint from the recent trip to England, that I made sure to do one once a day. And, as I said, pictures will be posted in groups now, it's just easier overall. The song "Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum, I can always associate with a visit to England. Maybe now it's because I have a friend who sat in while the song was being recorded in 1967, and she has some good stories about it. Maybe it's because it reminds me of the White Cliffs of Dover, in the south, near Beachy Head, kind of not far from Eastbourne that, I seem to recall hearing on a car radio when I was at this very spot in 1971. In WW2, great battles between British Spitfires and the German Luftwaffer took place right around here. What is immediately striking is the fact these giant cliffs are just sheer-straight down and made of chalk. There are no fences as what you see when you approach the edge, that darker area in the forground, just drops right off!!! People have actually driven their cars right off the edge in the fog. It's almost surreal to see this. And the effect of sun on them is striking-clouds form shadows so some areas are slivers of bright light, and others, darker. And, at the bottom-to give you a sense of scale, is a lighthouse. Don't worry, I'm not going into Thomas Kinkade territory! The bottom piece is some of the lovely Fall colors at Cockington Park, not far from Torquay.
Enjoy! If you like one, and would like to buy, please tell me the title of the piece and we'll go from there, as I said last time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris Jouan said...

Digital art? Welcome to the dark side. It's great but it has it's limitations. Thankfully, I don't have any allergic reactions to it like I did with other media.

Fantastic paintings. I can't wait to go and see it for myself someday.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Ahhhh. Not to worry. I won't be doing the digital. I will be doing the drawings that will be digitally painted. Long story of how this is working out, but I'm not drawn(excuse the pun) into the Dark Side so fast...I like my being able to touch the work. I won't give that up.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Chris Jouan said...

Great!

I like your work the way it is!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

Due to elder care I've been away recently but it was wonderful to return and be greeted by your fall colors in the trees. Just lovely.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Julie!

Chris-yup, I probably will be a dinosaur but so what? I'm still busy! And if you look at the sales on this blog's history alone, it says people like originals.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bob,
i was talking with a friend online about a buddy alex's painting show in chelsea when i saw your comments on her blog. thought i would take a look and glad i did. very nice blog and love the work. keep painting. people do love originals.
i am an artist, illustrator and retoucher. from my own experience you can sell digital art to decore reps or publishers of open ended editions but if you want to sell them for any real value or artistic gain, they have to be limited and each touched by hand in some way. color, wax, thinners... etc
also i am finding as an illustrator there is a trend towards hand art once more... god bless the dinosaurs.
www.anthonymorrow.blogspot.com

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home