Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Followed by a Moonshadow...

A quick film plug. Saw IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, a terrific documentary, presented by Ron Howard and directed by David Sington, takes us back to the years of 1968-1972 and the Apollo moon program. It's told via some amazing-rarely seen footage-and present day interviews with former Astronauts-Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, Mike Collins, Alan Bean, and others. I got misty eyed watching this!!! Via footage, newsclips(including Walter Cronkite and the animated CBS News "Man on The Moon" graphic complete with a Kellogg ad) we literally feel transported back to those heady days. The astronauts tell things just like they were. Mike Collins is the funniest and candid, Gene Cernan is the most thought provoking and Buzz is...well, he's Buzz! What gets you is how you see all these other nations waving American flags and saying "If any country could do this, it's America!". Wow. Those were the days. For me, it made me very wistful and I had a flood of memories of everything I did at that time, in 1969 when we waited for the Eagle to land on the moon. I could almost quote Walter Cronkite and Mission Control word for word. Told alot about what was going on in the 1960's and made me very thoughtful about why the public just lost it's imagination after the first moon walk. And how, in preceding years, idiots and conspiracy nuts have come along to try and say we never went to the moon. As Charlie Duke says in the film "If we faked it, why'd we fake it six more times???". Well said. The filmmaker's apparent only disappointment was still not being able to get Neil Armstrong on camera to speak about what he did. And in the very end, one funny credit reads "No Computer Graphics were used in making any sequence in this film" . Overall, this is one truly amazing documentary. Go see it- before it leaves the theaters-soon!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, thanks for posting this--I've been wanting to see this film.

--Eric Reynolds

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home