Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Monday, September 17, 2007

JAPAN BLOG: Kazuo Oga...and Totoro

Me at the entrance to the show.

Marianne with Totoro.

Here's some shots we took at the MOT-basically the Modern Art Museum of Tokyo. A huge exhibit was on the art of Kazuo Oga. If you have seen and love(as I do) any of the films by Hayao Miyazaki like TOTORO, SPIRITED AWAY, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, LAPUTA, et al, then you have seen his art. He is the background/matte painter and has been involved in all of Miyazaki's films painting-in sometimes as little as 20 minutes(!)-background painting that are lush, deep and amazing. He's also worked on alot of anime films in the 1980's, one being HARMAGEDDON and, he's done some picture books, and illustrations for poetry by survivors of the Hiroshima A-bomb in 1945. We bought all the books, and the Hiroshima one was so heartwrenching it's hard to read without getting tears in one's eyes. But, to see Oga's work, all you need to do is rent or buy any of Miyazaki's amazing films. It was a real treat to go here and again, I thank Ikkie and Shoji Hasegawa and Hicaru Tanaka for all their generosity in time and effort.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Jouan said...

Thanks for opening my eyes to this fantastic talent!

Princess Mononoke was the first of Miyazaki's films I ever watched and I remember noticing the fantastic natural spaces. Your post makes me want to go back and watch all over again!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Adam M Botsford said...

Thanks for the photos! And I'm loving the enormous Totoro.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Anytime. Miyazaki is a huge favorite of mine here...we picked up Goro Miyazaki's EARTHSEA animated which, while slow in spots, is MUCH better than the Sci Fi Channel version! Won't be released here until something like 2011...

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home