Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Friday, September 14, 2007

JAPAN BLOG: Think Like Amano!!!

Meanwhile back at The Worldcon, I had the honor, and, personal dream to meet the legendary Yoshitaka Amano. His work is beyond words, and he's perhaps the most successful Japanese fantasy artist ever. Pictured here is the panel "Yoshitaka Amano vs Bob Eggleton". We just called it that because "vs" is a cool term these days. We discussed art, and technique..and it was done in Japanese and English and thanks to Okada-san(far left of me) and Tanaka-san and Kawai-san(on the right seated of Amano) it all came off pretty awesome.

While it started off a little...terse...mainly due to language barriers and translations, drawing was the spoken word for all artists-Amano wanted to tape up some paper and "We will do drawings together". A collaboration with Amano? I have lived to see the day that I achieved yet another dream. You can see we pretty much had the same thinking going on.


Amano's plan was to draw on one side and I draw on the other and we meet for the final "confrontation" in the middle. Watching this man work is amazing. In the end, the drawings were given away "Rock-Paper-Scissors" style auction. You had to see it to believe it, it went from an intense, solid discussion on art and thinking and techniques in which you could hear a pin drop...to a party atmosphere. Only in Japan, as I always say.


This is me in the lower reception area of Amano's Rappongi studio. Yes, stainless steel blinds. And some of his new work done in a verso technique. His "upper working studio" is off limits to cameras but it's pretty amazing. And his private working studio(third floor) is off limits to all eyes but Amano! I feel the same way some days about my own place.

Hicaru Tanaka(left) and I discuss Amano's work. My wife Marianne looks on. We owe a debt of gratitude to Amano's studio manager, Mariko Suzuki and , Shoji and Ikkie Hasegawa for this rare opportunity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Time Waster said...

That is sweet big fan ob AManos stuff

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home