Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Friday, May 25, 2007

Ah....Summer!

The Reflective Cove(8x10, oils, $130-includes frame) This rather nice cove on Beavertail, Jamestown RI, is one of my favorite places. You can look down through relatively clear water and see the bottom recede away. I really like painting that shimmery surface of a distorted reflection, while at the same time trying to paint the translucent water as it gets deeper. It's harder than it looks. I've actually gone swimming here(though you are not supposed to, at the time I didn't know that) The rocks are full of these strange "caves" that don't go in very far but look forboding just the same.
Techniques here-LOTS of texture, as is evident. Palette knife to create the rocks and I scraped off some paint and left the underpainting showing. The water was a series of dibs and dabs of paint...just hoping with each one it would look better. I think it worked. The trick is not to mess around TOO much. When it looks good, time to leave it...don't fuss.
It really feels like summer now and thus, thoughts of water are near. I plan on painting alot of things like this scene coming up over the summer months. I am a summer person!

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

Love you sense of depth and realism in this piece.

12:38 PM  
Blogger leslee said...

Very nice. Happy summer painting! Looking forward to them.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Julie-thanks! This place is a nice, relaxing place, ESP at sunset!! Only one problem one year, skunks made it some kind of convention or mating area! Skunks EVERYWHERE!!

Leslee-thanks. I plan on doing alot more. This year I am all geared up for it!
Maybe I should come up your way and paint some of the cool places you get photos of!

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home