Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Adventure in the 21st Century! STAND BY FOR ACTION!!

I found this in an old collector's store, it's a British Gerry Anderson hardcover"Annual" from 1967!!Man, this was what it was all about for me. I like all aspects of science fiction. From the heady stuff to the fun, pop culture stuff-like this. I was and am a huge fan of Thunderbirds, Stingray,Captain Scarlet, FIREBALL XL-5 and later UFO and SPACE:1999. These annuals were afternoons of fun for me. The pictures always cool and the comics always fun to re-read. This was a monthly magazine and, into each year, they'd do an "annual" that was a hardcover "Best of" with new stuff added. We didn't have iPods or DVD players or video games. Some people ask me what it was like to live in those "dark ages" and my answer is "it was simple". This item was sold to me for a mere $20. Imagine, $20 to buy back your childhood!!! Originally it probably sold for something like 50-75 cents if I am doing the UK currency right. This was part of what got me into drawing and doing what I like doing. And all took place in that far off "21st Century" when everything was "The future" Ha! Well, we're HERE and I have one question: Where IS International Rescue now??? We need you!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bierstadt said...

OO wow I love thunderbirds and captain scarlet! I was raised on that stuff too, but in the 90's instead! I still have all the action figures. Your recent plein air paintings are awesome man, the english landscapes are really great. I did a few over the summer but need to get back into it.
-James

7:01 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Hey thanks! Yeah, we had luncboxes and stuff in the day, and comics like that, but beyond that, no action figs and yeah, we got all the action figs of T-birds and some of the DIe Casts of Stingray and Fireball XL5. Thanks on the words on the little landscapes. Yeah, the English ones came out really nice I think. I need to paint smaller ones soon again, just busy as Hell and...tired!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Simpson said...

I really loved the Eagle from Space:1999 and the design of Moonbase Alpha. Even as a kid, some of the stories seemed stupid, but I loved the design.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home