Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Double Heinlein

"The Rolling Stones"

"The Puppet Masters"

Two new Heinlein covers. The top one is for one of his juveniles, called THE ROLLING STONES and it's not about the group. It's a family in space. Except not lost, if you get my drift. I wanted to emulate the Chesley Bonestell feel to it, with a 1950's "rocket" ship in the full light of the sun whilst two characters are exploring the dark side of Phobos, the inner moon of Mars. The bottom is the re-issue of THE PUPPET MASTERS. So many versions of the covers used someone on strings so many times, it was kind of a habit I wanted to break. So after some consultation with the publisher, she determined a "really weird and kind of creepy city" would look good. And that I could do what I wanted in the sky. So my approach-it's a heady book with alot of human interaction- was to show earth literally being enveloped and covered with the "slugs" as they are, all sort of attaching themselves as they do to the human hosts.

Both covers are designed for Big Type in mind. That is, the covers have to have big type on the top and sometimes the bottom. As being Heinlein they have to look pretty spectacular so this is designed to work with the type. On a recent message board about my art, I my work was accused of looking "So much like bookcovers" which, duh, that's what they are!!! Several others dutifully defended me on this point.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Jouan said...

I've been on a Mars kick lately so I'm really diggin' the "Rolling Stones" It's definitely got a Bonestell-ian feel but with your signature rocks.

Very cool!

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A pun on Heinlein's 'Double Star' for the title of today's post, perhaps?

10:16 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

David-bingo-indeed and I'm glad you got that!!

Chris-yeah, I am planning on doing my "take" on some famous Bonestells but enough so they're different but for sure, more than just inspired...sort of how HR Giger re-did Arnold Bocklin's "Isle of The Dead".

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home