Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Saturday, September 13, 2008

AT 48-"So where will all that goofy Sci Fi get you?"

Well, today I am 48. I like getting older, as it were. But I can remember back, oh, in 1975 when even the year 1999 seemed like "the future". And, imagine my thrill then when a new sci-fi series premiered called SPACE:1999 and in it, the moon is blasted out of earth's orbit on September 13th 1999. I can still hear "So, where will all that goofy sci-fi get you? How will that help you get a job?" from the naysayers, school "guidance counselors" and so on...

I rest my case.

Actually, I share this day with Barbara Bain who starred in the show.Say what you will about it, it was one of the shows that, early on, inspired me to get into space painting. Here's a look, if you don't remember that cool opening theme music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DF9nDJZrdA

13 Comments:

Blogger Roger said...

Happy Birthday, man!

I got ya beat, though, I share a birthday with Ray Bradbury. ;p

9:10 AM  
Blogger MManzieri said...

Happy Birthday, pal!

I'll be 48 on April and I understand each one of your words...in 1977 Internet was only a dream and I spent my summer in Canada watching Space 1999 episodes that hadn't yet been aired in Italy!!!

MM

P.S. Your December F&SF is terrific!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Shinichi Wakasa said...

Happy Birthday,my "Brother"!!!

I hope good health and Fantastic Work!!!!!

Your Family,

KSE
Shinichi

5:35 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Bradbury Rog? Shows we're ALL important!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Maurizio! Thanks for the comment!!
Makes us all connected...this imagination. But ah the memories.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Shinichi-

Your comment made my day. Yes, we are family!! And especially in our case Kaiju Kids. You are part of my extended family since, I have so few "real" famly members!

Bob

7:46 AM  
Blogger Chris Jouan said...

Happy Late Birthday, Bob.

I can't believe I forgot that it was SEPTEMBER 13! One of the pivotal days in Sci-Fi.

Hope it was a great day.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bob!! Hope you had a fun and relaxing day.

Best wishes,

Julia K.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Chris! Thanks! Gee. Barbara Bain's birthday and SPace:1999's start date...hmm...is there a connection?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Chris! Thanks! Gee. Barbara Bain's birthday and SPace:1999's start date...hmm...is there a connection?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Julia! It was fun..but rainy!

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday bob! 48 is the thirty

Thx for the link. Loved that show too. Lived to see Mya (?spelling) turn into that sleetak type creature...

dave

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy happy to you Bob...consider then the Move cd I gave you at Denvention as a birthday giftoid.

I'm hitting the halfcentury tape myself in a few weeks, God help me.

cheers from Fogtown,
ML Heath

www.myspace.com/mlayne1

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home