Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Friday, February 22, 2008

Ben Chapman RIP

Again, we lost a great guy who gave us some great silver screen moments. Ben Chapman who played The Creature from The Black Lagoon, passed away today, at 79. I did the above painting for the San Francisco Creature Fest poster and, both Ben Chapman and Julia Adams signed so, so he got to see it.

Me with Chapman a few years ago at Chiller theater.
Ben in action as The Creature. Ricou Browning actually played him swimming.
Ren Brown's classic iconic Creature movie poster from 1954.

The details of Chapman's passing-(info thanks to Bob Johnson-I just copied and pasted here)-Ben Chapman passed away this morning at 12:15 AM Hawaii time. He wasadmitted to the hospital two days ago and died peacefully in his hospital bed. He had a living will and they turned off his life support yesterday about noon Hawaii time. They will be having a memorial service at a Catholic Church located near the beach and he will be cremated. He turned 79 last October.

(I wore a Creature shirt today, drank tea from my Creature mug, and had my Creature key chain in use-in his honor.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

Thanks Bob for the information. It is always sad to see the greats pass away.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Roger said...

This is so sad. I talked to him at a couple of the Chiller shows and he was incredibly friendly. Meeting him in person really made you understand why he was picked to wear that suit. Even as an adult, the idea of this huge guy walking around in that Creature suit was a scary image. He will be missed.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Yep. End of an era. I got to meet him however, like alot of Chiller and Monster Mania guests, they're just dropping off one by one as the years go by. He was a nice fellow too,always enthusiastic to meet fans.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home