Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Monday, January 08, 2007

When paintings go....bad?

Split Boulder This is what happens when you are painting outdoors, and the nice dappled light you had disappears, and you are sitting uncomfortably with pine needles sticking in your butt. Well, is it really that bad? You tell me. I thought it was pretty off the mark, as I tried to do it in half an hour, in Maine, in the woods in back of a friend's house(on their property). Now that I have a Guerilla Paint Box(highly portable), this problem may be not a problem. Anyway, the composition of the boulder having long been split either by the tree that grew between it, or before, with the sun on it, grabbed me. But I didn't grab that lighting fast enough so it kind of all went to Hell. Looking at it on a screen it looks cooly abstract..a little Courbet looking? Ah, there will be another time with me and that scene...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I've seen stuff worse than this win prizes. It is a bit abstract but I could tell that it was a tree and 2 boulders. Cheers!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Sahi said...

All I'm missing is depth for the tree, I can't see where it starts, but I really like the rock. It's the kind of thing I would try to capture with a camera (and fail horribly at).

1:14 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Sahi, you're always a pleasant visitor! Yeah, it's kind of like I ran out of two important things-light and time! The light faded and all the nice dappling on the trunk of the tree went, and then it also got cold, and I found myself going beyond my alotted 30 minutes. Still, the boulder has merit in spots. Wasn't a complete disaster really. I'll do better.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home