Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Painting vs Rendering...

The Quinces on The Porch(SOLD!!)These are rotting quinces done on site, on a friend's porch. The fruit was basically inedible anyway but the shapes and brown spots of rot, looked cool. But it was done with luscious brushwork, and in like an hour. When one *really* "paints" I find it is a way of making an image with a minimum of brushwork, rather than alot of "over rendering" . That is, not being picky. This is big difference between alot of "illustration" as opposed to "painting". Painting forces you to think in basic shapes and using a limited palette, making colors out of other colors. I know some painterly illustrators, and they're terrific, but working this way is less about the subject and more about the *how* something is painted. Which is the whole point.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting that you should mention painting versus rendering. Having gone digital (for the most part) I hope I'm not loosing my touch but I found that "liquifying" a rendered illustration/painting is an interesting approach and forces more painting on the artist that one might otherwise be tempted to do in a digital piece-many of us aiming at realism most of the time. My Mars Polar Ice piece at http://www.artsoul.homestead.com/
MarsPolarIce.html (watch the wrap) and my Pentecost Banner at http://www.artsoul.homestead.com/
BannersStoles/
Pentecost-Banner-for-web.jpg are both examples of taking a piece and "painting" in Photoshop's "Liquify" feature. Thanks for sharing and making me think about this.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Julie! It's why I got tired being an "airbrush" artist. The resulting effects were so horrible and flat, that I can't see, looking back, how I ever did it so long. Nothing in life LOOKS overrendered or airbrushed.
Or digitally done for that matter. This is already having an amazing effect on my illustration work, causing me to be less "picky" detailed and more trying to make less brushwork say alot more. What a nice evolution.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Tessa said...

I like this little peek into the thought structure behind paintings. Not being anything of an artist, it's interesting. Ta.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Hi :) I've seen your work for years in our Space Art catalog and it was a pleasure browsing through your website revisiting old favorites :) Got your link from Irene Gallo's blog!

Anyway, lovely quinces - and there are lots of digital brushes that can mimic oils or acrylics, and the results are loose.

But you are so right when you say its in the brushstrokes. How wonderful they can feel :)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Digital does some wonderful stuff, I know this. The problem is that it lacks the "tactile" feel of paint being applied. And what comes up is a print, in the end, not a physical painting. As to the old stuff, my site is about to undergo a MUCH needed change, dumping all the old junk out of it, in favor of a much simpler, easier site with more diversity on it
Thanks for stopping by! Encourages me to believe people actually like what I am doing! LOL!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home