Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

More Clarke...Himself!!

I had to also provide a fun portrait of Clarke himself to use as part of the Space Odyssey collection. This is a guy with a GREAT face to paint. Did it in an afternoon, smallish work 9x12. Which again, was because I had to come up with this in a short time, at the same time as the previous one. If you're interested, this painting is for sale, so write for the price!
I like doing portraits again, as I did them 30 years back in High School and got paid as well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annalisa said...

It just goes to show that as long as you get the values and forms right, you can introduce all kinds of cool colors into a human face. :-) I like how friendly Clarke looks here!

Do you happen to have any tips for someone who wants to sell commissioned portraits? I've been thinking that doing portraits would be a great way for me to practice the human form (something I'm passionate about) and get paid for it! Were there any typical pitfalls? Problems with clients?

Also--sorry for so many questions!--is your painting process for a straight-up portrait like this one any different from your usual painting process?

12:01 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Portraits are a strange animal. The thing with painting ones of people you don't meet or, are(as in the case of Clarke) passed on, you can make something of a statement about them-sometimes in what might be seen as a non-flattering way. Commissioned one most always want something flattering! As in so flattering they look fake. Glamour, I think it's called. Myself, I like to see me warts and all. Not that I have warts, but I can be a strange looking guy. I'd say when you are selling portraits to people, make sure that you catch their best and flatter them in some way. Or maybe you'll get lucky and you'll get someone who'll want all their strange facial features that often are what make the portrait. Alot of people didn't like Phil Hale's portrait of Tony Blair, but in fact it showed Blair as he was, a bedraggled, fallen leader. But those who wanted to see him at his best were disappointed...

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the glow and light behind. appropriate for someone whos mind was alight with great ideas. The world lost a wonderful person last year.

That tony blair painting made him look rough! but both he and bush's appearance seem to age at an accelerated rate once they got in office. Guess it's not good to be president.

I swear Obama already looks like he aged too. (I think thats the effect of being told the truth about the aliens...jk) He probably realizes how big of a job he has ahead of him

dt

8:48 PM  
Blogger thebonebreaker said...

Very Nice!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home