Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm not a joiner...

A note on joining "art organizations"...

I've dumped memberships in various art organizations over the years. I used to be a Graphic Artist's Guild member and I dropped that(saving myself a whole buncha money), and then the International Association of Astronomical Artists and then The Association of SF/Fantasy Artists-another group I dropped that became so disorganized and marginal that it wasn't funny. I found these national/worldwide "art organizations" to be entirely non-entities. They might have looked good on a resume ages ago, but that's a matter of opinion, now. Certainly they did nothing for me in terms of career betterment. You can save yourself alot of money in dues by steering clear of such things because so much info is free on the net anyway. I know people who pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars per year to belong to such groups. I have belonged to a few in my life and only come away with indifferent feelings. If it works for you, so be it, but on the whole, save your money and your time.

HOWEVER(I added this at the urging of a friend and she's right!) I have found "community" arts organizations can be pretty fun, social and beneficial. I belong to one that costs nothing called "CreateRhode Island" and there are various art clubs that not only do good shows, but also need the help and organizational thinking. These kind of groups can only help the community and, are more "hands on" as opposed to fraternal, which the ones I described above tend to be. There are also various oil paint, watercolor societies and such that are well worth time and effort. I think the key is not to be too focused on speciality and look at an overall view of them. They're terrific for group shows, networking and socializing(read that: getting out of the studio and enjoying company).

4 Comments:

Blogger The Art Corner said...

Bob--

You entirely leave out the "local" art associations, which are ALWAYS useful and NEEDY!

The National and/or International organizations of which you speak are, indeed, worthy of your scorn. Local ones are worthy of your SUPPORT!

Chuck and I belong, as you know, to the Marblehead (MASS) Art Association and the Salem (MASS) Arts Association. Both organizations wouldn't exist without help from local artists and supporters. Neither organization would give you any "incentive" or "advantage" on your resume, but they both can give local, "amateur" artists a leg up.

WE have the knowledge to help; WE have the experience. Why not pass on that knowledge to the best who could use it? If they DON'T (choose not to) use that knowledge--too bad for THEM!

We can try, or not bother. We can "do, or do not. There is no try."

GEEK Wendy

9:25 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Wendy-agreed! Read what I added...

7:28 AM  
Blogger Annalisa said...

I really enjoy these "passing down of wisdom" posts that you do, Bob. Thank you for this! I have wondered vaguely about joining art societies but they're not too high on my priority list. I think after this post I will still keep them on my list but really low down. For now, portfolio work, museums, reading, practicing, classes, etc., those all come first.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I felt a little harsh as some people in these are good people. It's just I think to call oneself a "Sci Fi" artist is a bit confining these days. I think just the term "artist" works best. Because it's fun to do alot of things...

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home