Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Memo:Fire Breathing Dragons-Bad for Kids

Normally I don't get into these things, nor do I post links. But this deserves a rant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk:80/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=494755&in_page_id=1770

What we have here is political correctness attaining new heights of stupidity. This illustrator was told to change the art she had in a kid's picture book because the idea of fire breathing dragons "could be dangerous to health and safety". It appears that such suggestions are prevailent in the UK and the US.

Okay, give me a break. Who sits around and dreams up these idiotic assumptions?Further an example of dumbing down of everything. I don't know what it's coming to but this one really takes it. Years ago, I bought a model of a Utahraptor and some months later, I had a Federal Fish and Game "official" call me and ask me if I had indeed purchased it, and what I may have bought was illegal under endangered animals acts. I reminded him that a Utahraptor was an EXTINCT dinosaur. Long silence. Finally...."Oh. Sorry". People really make me wonder.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what they need to add to the book is the fire extinguisher breathing dragon to make it all better....than they can leave the good old dragons alone.

did they ever ban Bevis? "fire, fire, fire!" (...with a lit lighter in his hand)



davet

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really scary. Next they'll be saying that you can't show dragons flying because some kid might jump off a roof.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When politically correctness arises, it is time for creative people to remodel their creations patterns according to the strand of the day. Today smoking is almost illegal, so tomorrow no one will be able to paint smoking chimneys because they are a reminder of a bad habit. To paint people on a row boat will also be forbidden because the viewer might wonder whether these people have a good life insurance and if they don't the painter might be sued for not caring for his painted characters. Welcome to modernity my friends !

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home