Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

JAPAN BLOG: MORE FUN, FRIENDS...ULTRAMAN

ULTRAMAN and his Ultra Brothers gave a spectacular show at the Hugos. Again, I lived to see the day that in front of a high-end SF audience, giant monsters battled superheroes from outer space. SEE? I was onto something wasn't I? All courtesy of Tsuburaya Company. I have been to one of these shows before and, they are performed regularly in Japan by super pro stunt actors.

And this is Hiroko Sakurai who has been a friend now for about seven years. She played, in her very young days, Agent Fuji of Science Patrol, who worked with Hayata-Ultraman's alter ego on earth. Sakurai-san is perhaps one of the most gracious people I know. You watch this show in the 1970's and then, 30 years later you are having dinner with it's stars. Life is a good thing.

Me as Pigmon-a small, but cute monster from the Ultraman series.

Part of my autograph line at Nippon 07. EVERYONE wanted a Godzilla or a dragon drawn on one of these calligraphy boards they had with them. It had to be at least 40 people I did drawings for! My hand was killing me! But I did them all.

Takumi Shibano-what more can be said about this man-Japanese editor,translator and teacher, who's showing some age, and has health issues, but he's still got the sparkle in his heart. He pulled me aside and we had a delightful conversation which I was happy we did. He was no less the Japanese Fan GoH, as he should be!!!

Some Kaiju Friends!! Left is Shinichi Wakasa-#1 Monster Suit builder, Yuji Kaida-fellow Godzilla and monster artist, Yours Truly and, Writer/Director/Filmmaker(THE iDOL) Norman England.

I'll probably have one more post about my Japanese adventures, and then I move on." At last!" you're saying. Well, I hope you have enjoyed this vicarious adventure as much as I have enjoyed showing you. It's off to the UK on Wednesday for Brian Lumley's small but fun convention in the south of England. And yes, pix from that will be blogged. Not to worry, I'll get back to the art. The purpose of these sharing of adventures is to show you how I tick and what inspires me to paint in the first place.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying your Japan photos. We brought home about 8 Ultraman characters this summer from Japan. I'm kicking myself for not getting more. They're a fortune here. A live performance sounds like lots of fun.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks Sarah! Yeah, the Bandai toys are a FORTUNE here, depending on where you look. It is the postage. I was given a ton of candy toys, some Ultra, some other stuff, and I had to send them home and it cost me $73.00(!!) for slow mail! But they are all cool toys. I tend to favor the Godzilla stuff but some Ultra stuff is fun too.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

Loved Ultraman when I was younger. Great photo.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home