Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Saturday, November 29, 2008

New Lumley

This unsettling creature is called The Nonsuch. It's part of a three-story Brian Lumley collection, due out from Subterranean Press. Brian wrote this new story and what it involves is an almost Night Gallery-like story of a man staying in a hotel and he's being slowly stalked by a strange sea-borne cephalopod. I used reference taken at the very hotel we used to stay at for Keoghcon down in Torquay, England as that is where the action takes place. The image took forever to form in my head. This was a case wherein the cover was a tough thing to do-as Norman Rockwell used to say "Some come easy, some come hard". It's also a truly frightening story, one of Brian's scariest I have to say. The painting turned out 20x30 inches, and done in oils.

5 Comments:

Blogger David B. Ellis said...

I've never read any Lumley but this painting makes me want to. It has a lovecraftian feel---always a plus in my book.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks David. This turned into alot of fun to do, after some hard work was over, conceptualizing the image which was a pain, sort of. But the hard work seems to have paid off which makes it worth the while. Everyone seems to react to it in the way intended.

8:57 AM  
Blogger thebonebreaker said...

Sweet!

I will be looking forward to the book release of this one.

I LOVE your art Bob ~ so much so that I have a tattoo of the cover of Necroscope IV :-)

5:05 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

THANKS! Anyone who adorns their body with my work, I am honored by! Because I know it's a permanent decsion once made, I have to say that means alot to me!

You'll enjoy this book. Scared the shit out of me. Which, normally with Lumley I find more thrilling than scary.

5:18 PM  
Blogger thebonebreaker said...

Good to know! :-)
I love Lumley anyhow.

By the way, I should have mentioned that I am a friend of Jack Eaton's - that is how I came across your Blog...

Can't wait to see more of your work!!

Jason

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home