Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Musings...Drawings...

Dagon(charcoal)Hunter's Run Concept Sketch(charcoal)
A couple of sketches for your enjoyment...projects that are upcoming...
The top is a take on H.P. Lovecraft's Dagon, done for the cover to Brian Lumley's new book THE TAINT due out soon from Subterranean Press. Below this is the cover concept to HUNTER'S RUN, a collaborative book by George R.R. Martin, Gardner Dozois and Dan Abraham. Both are great books and are alot of fun to make into covers. What you see here are some fun drawings done in charcoal, which I love doing, that just kind of suss out the directions of the art. HUNTER'S RUN has this great monster in it, that's kind of lurking, so I didn't want to "spoil" the image of it for the reader. Generally this is how I see images and, get my ideas down....I take one of two approaches. One is to do a fairly elaborate drawing(top) that takes a couple of hours, or, if the image is really strong, then I do a quick 15 minute gesture sketch(Hunter's Run) and just go with it from there working out some of my problems as I paint along and letting sponaneity work for me. It frees up the mind and, in the end, you get a painting that is not boring to do because you are always wondering what the next brushstroke will bring...

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

I don't know how you did it but I can feel the slithering, undulating body of the dragon. Creepy!!! Wonderful drawing.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks! That's Dagon and he's this elder god of the sea. He's sort of this scaly fish monster, that has weird tentacles as well. So I made them a bit vague...the finish will be posted here soon!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What size do you do your preliminary drawings? Especially the quick gestural ones.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

The latter one, bottom is about 6x17 inches. Small, done on a pad of Strathmore drawing which is my most favorite of surfaces to work on.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home