Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

HURRICANE....from afar

Painting of The Day is....

Hurricane Swells(10x14 oils,$100)


I did this, to be honest, in Sept, but what makes it interesting is I did it on Nauset Beach on Cape Cod when all the tourists had left and, a huge hurricane was roaring offshore 800 miles away and sending HUGE rolling waves (some of them 12ft) toward the east coast. I was painting with my rear end sitting in sand, and it was a nice Indian Summer day but with a brisk breeze, so sand was kicked into my painting(which was kind of cool in retrospect as it gave it texture!!). I'm fascinated with weather, and the forces of nature. I'd however, rather have that hurricane a safe distance away than headed toward us. This session lasted about an hour and the painting was 10x14 inches in size, on a panel. The tide and huge waves rolling in eventually chased me off the beach after a wave came within 6 inches of my feet( sitting down.). It was a "white water" moment with alot of foam kicked up. Trying to get a wave to "hold still" for you is impossible of course, and barring photography, you just have to capture the feel of the moment, the seagulls kind of balance it out. When you do plein air landscapes, it's a matter of "snatch and run" and do the best you can in the situation you have, with lighting and weather changing drastically in a moment.

My next fascination will be with painting tornadoes. I intend to work from some personal photos a friend took, and not get anywhere NEAR one of those things. I was actually IN a tornado in 1985 when a small one struck Rhode Island-I didn't know what it was until I saw the green sky and churning clouds.

There's a GREAT little motel off the beaten path on Nauset an we rented a room there for two nights, off season(cheap) and no one was really around. So it made for about three nice paintings in two days, on Cape Cod and the weather was terrific mostly.

More paintings are in the hopper, drying so they can be scanned. So lots more to come. I painted a Trilobyte fossil today. In the meantime I did an interview for an upcoming issue of IMAGINE FX magazine-a high end UK publication dedicated to digital Fantasy and SF art but they feature a "Legend Artist"(read that:old timer!) in each issue and this coming issue they picked me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colors. Makes me wish it was summer and I was headed to the beach.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Thanks T, don't we all need a day at the beach once a week?

Bob

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from a family of painters (2 brothers, 1 uncle, 2 great uncles, 2 cousins) and book editors (both parents, 8 more up the family tree) who moved laterally into being a professional scientist. Bob Eggleton's paintings plunge me into reconnecting both hemispheres of my brain, and the fragments of my life, with astonishing painterly craft, scientific vision (space art, dinosaurs), and illustration of great novels and short fiction. No artists since Chesley Bonestell has exploded in my vision and soul like Bob Eggleton. He is a national treasure.

-- Professor Jonathan Vos Post

http://magicdragon.com

10:49 AM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Ah, Jonathan, my old friend! Your comment comes at a time when it's so needed. Been one of those days and it's only 11am.

Thanks man.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home