Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Don't Des-pear

Cuddling Pears(9x12, oil $SOLD)
So I started painting pears. What artist hasn't? This little 8x10 painting took about an hour. I'm also told of all the fruit-paintings, pears sell best. Why? I think I know. Pears are the most "human-looking" fruit out there. Physically, the resemble simplified human forms. Pears bruise easily. Humans bruise easily. Do we feel empathy for this? This isn't to say humans are "pear shaped"(though, some are) and the term "Pear shaped" usually means something has gone amiss with a plan. So why are pears so appealing when the term "pear shaped" means something not so good? I bought some Bosch Pears to paint soon-they're a harder, skinnier pear. It's amazing how painting fruits and vegetables gets you looking at the grocery store produce aisle totally in another light. You stop and look-and feel-everything, and people wonder if you're okay.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great rendition. Don't know how you are doing these so fast.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with Julie. How you are producing such skillful images in about an hour is remarkable. Like the lemons, wonderful use of light and hue to give shape and texture.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

One of the side effects of being an illustrator is learning to work fast, and just kind of do it and see what happens, and judge it later, not as I am doing it, so the end result is that there IS an end result and it's done. What I have achieved is up to the judgement of others such as yourselves and I greatly appreciate that.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home