Bob's ART du Jour

Hi, I'm Bob Eggleton and this is my painting and "life in general blog" but mostly paintings. Usually they're for sale. Anyway, if you like something contact me at zillabob@cox.net and ENJOY!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

I am a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work(such as Jimmy Neutron and most recently, The Ant Bully) but I have a passion for landscape work, small paintings and exploring the properties of paint. This blog will mostly showcase my "painting-for-the-day" as kind of a personal voyage. I'll also be inserting sketches,photos and ideas of projects I am working on, that I can, when I can, so look for those every so often(usually as paint is drying!)

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

And Away We Go!!!!!

Painting of The Day...
Cat Skull on Green(9x12,oils $100)

This is 9x12 inches, oils on panel. I did this in about an hour. I find bones fascinating. What artist doesn't? They are organic, grotesque and beautiful at the same time. You can paint them from many angles and, make them look like something totally different each time. I think I got this skull-it was considered "imperfect"(missing a tooth) so it was in the "bargain bin"($5) at Maxilla & Mandible, an AMAZING New York City store full of dead things that once you enter, it's hard to leave, and harder to leave without buying some fossils or bones or something cool.
The fun part of doing these paintings, quickly is that it teaches you to be observant, and timing them, to an hour or less, you get what you get and don't get too picky or fussy. Oil paints can be something you fuss with forever if you don't have ground rules - like taking it *away* from yourself. RISD professor, Illustrator Nick Jainschigg - my friend and painting pal and Knower of All Things Painting - got me into doing this-meaning to say he inspired me with what he's done with his paintings-a-day.
The other thing about doing these is that, because I work as a movie illustrator and, doing fantasy paintings and such, on these I can really loosen up and just have some fun. It's not that I DON'T have fun doing the other stuff, but this way, I get grounded in observing the "real" world. The basis of all realist art is good drawing and good observation of light and shadow. I'll also be posting sketches for other things I am doing as well (maybe while the paintings are drying!).
And, all these paintings will be for sale, $100 each, sizes will be no larger than 9x12 in most cases, but contact me if you want to buy one as it will be first come first served. There will be a slight time lag in posting paintings as because they are oil, they take a few days to dry through, so what you see may have been painted on ANOTHER day, not really "today". But each one was done during a day hence, "painting-a-day".
Bob

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best on the new blog Bob.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best to you and your new blog Bob.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love skulls too. The green background, because of the cat skull's visual influence, suggests much larger bones, pitted and twisted, hidden under the green veldt.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Lou Anders said...

Hi Bob,
I am very excited to see these as they go up. Really cool!

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, I just started looking at your blog paintings and I absolutely love them. I think skulls are great too and have a series of Halloween cards with various skulls on them. In Albany California, they have "The Bone Room." It is hard to leave without buying something. Your blog page will be added to the honored few "images of the day" that I look at each morning.

6:41 AM  
Blogger leslee said...

Welcome to the blogisphere!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Irene Gallo said...

Awesome. I'm looking foward to watching this delevlope.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home